Promoting a business online has become extremely vital in today’s digital world. With over 4.66 billion active internet users, the opportunities to reach potential customers are endless. However, with so many social media platforms to choose from, it can get overwhelming deciding where to focus your efforts.
Three of the most popular platforms for businesses are Quora, Twitter and Reddit. Each has its own unique features, user demographics, and best practices. In this blog, we’ll do a deep dive into Quora, Twitter and Reddit to determine which one is the best for promoting your business in 2023.
Understanding the core user base of each platform is key to determining if they are a good fit for your business.
– 300+ million monthly active users
– Majority of users are between 25-34 years old
– 43% have an annual household income over $100k
– Tech savvy professionals, academics, entrepreneurs
With a user base comprised mainly of educated professionals and subject matter experts, Quora is great for building thought leadership and targeting a B2B audience.
– 237.8 million daily active users
– Nearly 50% are 35-65 years old
– Wide range of income levels
– General population + influencers, media, politicians
Twitter has a highly engaged, diverse audience making it suitable for consumer facing brands, as well as B2B companies targeting influencers.
– 430 million monthly active users
– Majority are 18-29 years old
– Lower average income
– Tech savvy millennials & Gen Z users
Reddit attracts a younger tech savvy audience, making it a solid platform for consumer brands targeting millennials and Gen Z. The highly engaged niche communities also provide opportunities for specialized B2B companies.
Features for Businesses
Beyond just demographics, the features available on each platform also determine how suitable they are for promoting a business.
– Direct Questions – Users ask questions seeking answers from experts, allowing you to establish thought leadership.
– Spaces – Topic based communities you can join to interact with people interested in your industry.
– Ads – Paid advertising in feeds and along side relevant questions to get your content seen.
With its robust Q&A format and subject-specific communities, Quora provides ample opportunities to demonstrate expertise.
– Tweets – Share updates, content and engage with customers and followers (280 char limit).
– Trending topics – Jump on trending conversations relevant to your business.
– Ads – Sophisticated targeting capabilities to promote Tweets and Accounts.
From short Tweets to leveraging Trends, Twitter enables real-time engagement and awareness.
– Subreddits – Niche communities structured around specific topics that users can subscribe to.
– Ads – Highly targeted ads based on subreddits, keywords, user interests etc.
– AMAs – Host “Ask Me Anything” sessions within relevant subreddits.
Reddit provides targeted reach through subreddits, and options for deeper engagement via AMAs.
While the platforms share some universal best practices like posting consistently, high quality content, and engaging followers there are some nuances to each that can amplify your success.
– Answer Relevant Questions – Build credibility by providing thoughtful answers to questions in your industry.
– Create Detailed Profiles – Flesh out your personal and business profiles to establish expertise.
– Join Relevant Spaces – Become an active member in spaces related to your business.
– Go Beyond Text – Incorporate charts, stats, videos etc. to create more engaging content.
– Tweet Regularly – Active accounts with multiple tweets per day gain more followers.
– Leverage Trends – Stay up to date on trends and current events to join timely conversations.
– Engage Followers – Reply, retweet, and like tweets to build community.
– Use Images – Tweets with images receive 150% more retweets than text alone.
– Follow Subreddit Rules – Thoroughly read and follow the rules of subreddits before participating.
– Comment Often – Active, non-promotional comments raise your credibility within subreddits.
– Upvote Content – Upvoting and reacting to other users’ content helps you build karma.
– Post Valuable Links/Resources – Share links and resources the subreddit community finds helpful.
It’s crucial to track the right metrics on each platform to determine if your efforts are paying off. Here are the key analytics to monitor:
– Content Views – How many times your questions, answers and blog posts have been viewed.
– Upvotes – The number of upvotes received on your content indicating value to readers.
– Profile Views – Increased profile views signify growing reach and awareness.
– Impressions – The number of times users see your tweets in their timeline.
– Engagements – Total number of retweets, likes, replies, clicks etc. per tweet.
– Link Clicks – How often users click links in your tweets to drive traffic.
– Followers/Follower Growth – Track total new followers and monthly follower growth.
– Upvotes – Total tally of upvotes across your posts and comments.
– Comments – Frequency of comments on your posts shows user engagement.
– Subreddit Subscribers – Growth in followers in specific subreddits you target.
– Traffic – Track visits driven from Reddit to your site.
How Much Does it Cost?
Promoting on these platforms can require both time and monetary investment. Here are the costs to consider with each:
– $0 – Organically build credibility by asking/answering questions for free.
– $250-$500 per month for ads – Promoted content campaigns start at $250 per month.
– $0 – Posting content, engaging followers and using trending hashtags has no cost.
– $150 – $500 per month for ads – Promoted tweet and account ad campaigns begin around $150-$500 per month.
– $0 – You can organically participate in subreddits by commenting, posting and upvoting.
– $5 per day minimum for advertising – Reddit ads start at a $5 per day minimum spend.
While ads can amplify reach, focusing first on organic participation provides a cost effective way to test out each platform.
The Verdict – So in summary, here are the key highlights to help determine which platform best suits your business goals for 2023:
Choose Quora If:
– Targeting professionals, academics and tech savvy decision makers
– Thought leadership and industry expertise are priorities
– Have niche, complex products requiring detailed explanations
Choose Twitter If:
– Wanting to drive brand awareness and real-time engagement
– Your target audience includes general consumers and influencers
– Trending topics and current events are relevant
Choose Reddit If:
– Targeting tech savvy millennials and Gen Z users
– Seeking to engage specific niche communities
– Have entertaining or sharable content formats
Rather than choosing just one platform, the best approach is to consider where your business goals and target audience align most. Test each platform and collect data on engagement, growth and conversions to optimize your efforts.
What works today may not be the best channel in a few months as algorithms shift and new platforms arise. So continue analyzing the data on an ongoing basis and be ready to adapt your strategies. That agile approach will set you up for success in 2023 and beyond!